Email Marketing can be a great and highly efficient and inexpensive way to generate traffic and sales. But only if you do it the right way. The trick is finding out how to put the message together in a way that prompts the most purchases.
You will need to optimize your subject to be interesting enough to open. Once you figure out a subject that produces a high opening ratio, you have fought have the battle. But e-Mail opens do not produce any income. They’re not your end goal.
So your next step will be to identify an effective call to action, intriguing enough for readers to act on it.
Your goal is to make sales or generate traffic to your site. Ultimately, it’s the revenue from customer purchases that keeps your business in the green. So a broadcast’s true worth can be measured in the sales it generates.
If you have not signed up for email marketing to start building your list, I highly recommend Aweber. Aweber is the leading marketing software that allows you to automate your e-Mail campaigns with scheduled and automated follow up e-Mails, auto-responders, and professional sign-up forms that you can easily integrate into your site. We are able to offer you a special promotion to started here for only $1.
STEP 1: Set Up Sales Tracking
First, you’ll need to make sure you’re tracking the purchases subscribers are making in response to each broadcast.
You can do this with sales tracking. If you have already set this up, skip to step 2.
Once you’re ready, it’s time for…
STEP 2: Tweak Your Promotional Broadcast
Start with your original broadcast design. The goal is to see if a different version will sell more, so you’ll need to create that other version.
To get started, take a look at:
- Your call to action: Is your design eye-catching enough? Would different words be more compelling? Should it move above the fold (the point where readers need to scroll to see more)?
- Your text-to-image ratio: Experts recommend a blend of 60% text to 40% images to illustrate your message while avoiding spam traps.
- Your preheader: Do you have a whitelisting request? A link to your newsletter online? An unsubscribe link?
- Your format: Are you using the best layout for your content?
- Your images and copy: Are you presenting your product or service in the best possible light? Or would your readers respond better to something else?
STEP 3: Split Test For the Best Performing Design
To figure out which design will generate more sales, use the broadcast split testing feature in your account. This sends each version to a randomly selected, equally sized audience so you’ll get the most accurate results.
After the broadcasts go out, follow the QuickStats for each version to keep track of sales.
Once you have the winning version, you know what design to use for future promotions!